Bravo! The Project - A Documentary Film

Khe Sanh,Marines,Other Musings,Vietnam War

June 11, 2014

Remembering June 7, 1967

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

As I write this blog, the date is June 7, 2014. Recognition of the date leads me to ponder a June 7 forty-seven years ago.

Not long after returning from Vietnam in April, 1968, I was cruising the streets of my home town with one of my high school friends who looked at me and said, “Rodgers, you could fall in a bucket of manure and come out smelling like a rose.”

I didn’t quite know how to respond to that comment but now I remember thinking that, yeah, I’d been lucky in my life.

Ken Rodgers, co-producer, co-director of BRAVO!, photo courtesy of Kevin Martini-Fuller

Ken Rodgers, co-producer, co-director of BRAVO!, photo courtesy of Kevin Martini-Fuller

During the Siege of Khe Sanh I was one of the lucky members of Bravo Company. I didn’t go out on the Ghost Patrol and my platoon, 2nd, wasn’t in the first wave of attackers as we assaulted the NVA on March 30, 1968. Yes, I had to deal with incoming and snipers and going out on listening posts at night, but for the most part I was pretty lucky. And yes, I learned to tell where incoming was going to hit by the sound it made leaving the tube and yes I didn’t stick my head up so a sniper’s round could rip the top of my head off, but sometimes you didn’t hear the incoming leave the tube and sometimes you had little choice, you had to stick your head up. So you needed some luck to survive.

Some folks say that luck is only being prepared but in the case of the Marine Corps, you really don’t have any choice about when you get picked to go into action.

I was pretty lucky before the Siege, too, because I didn’t go out on the Bravo Company patrol of June 7, 1967. Two squads from 2nd Platoon went out on a company-minus patrol which we thought would be a routine exercise off the north end of 881 South that morning. The squad I was in was chosen to remain behind and man the lines. I was pretty new to the outfit, so I remember that it seemed like just another day in my tour. Instead of humping the hills outside of Khe Sanh, I’d fill sandbags and stand watch.

It wasn’t long before we could hear activity going on and it wasn’t the kind of activity that you want to hear. Even though I didn’t know a lot of the guys in our platoon very well, I can still remember feeling empty. Empty and a little frightened, too. Our squad leader was monitoring the action on a radio, or trying to, and gave us some confused information about what was going on. It all sounded like a lot of chaos to me. Bravo Company hadn’t been lucky and had walked into a well-planned ambush, or at least that’s what I remember.

A trench line on Hill 881 South. Photo courtesy of

A trench line on Hill 881 South.
Photo courtesy of

Eventually the battle was ended and our men came back in. There was only one problem. We were short 18 Marines and Corpsmen. And I knew some of them.

I had never felt anything like what I felt as I heard the list of names of our dead and saw the blank look on the faces of the men who returned. I knew well enough to keep my mouth shut and not say anything stupid. I wanted to apologize and to sympathize and to…I wanted to reach out to them but I realized that wouldn’t do much good.

The men of 2nd Platoon who didn’t go out on that patrol sat there and talked in hushed voices. Inside, in my guts and my chest, I felt drained, like something had vacuumed my innards. I couldn’t imagine what the men who had been out there felt like. (Later in my tour, during the Siege, I would get firsthand experience.)

One of the things I remember best from that day is my fireteam leader’s reaction to news that his best buddy was KIA. They’d come over from 3/26 about a month before. My team leader was the most stoic man I ever knew but on that day he cried. He didn’t try to stop the tears. He didn’t try to hide them. He let them go and they streamed down his brown face. I wanted to reach out and hug him but we didn’t do that kind of thing back then, or that’s what I believed, anyway.

A few days later we reorganized the platoon and within several weeks we acted like we had forgotten all about what happened on June 7. But we hadn’t. We were just trying to move on, hoping to be lucky enough not to end up like those good men who hadn’t come back from that action.

The names of those men:

Lance Corporal James Blaz
Lance Corporal John Chase
Corporal Ronald Crooks
Lance Corporal Ronald Enderby
Corporal Edward Furlong
Private Gale Gotti
PFC Thomas Healy
PFC Kenneth Johnson
Lance Corporal Kenneth Keefer
PFC Steven Millett
PFC Larry Morris
PFC Wayne Pitts
PFC Frank Shovlin
PFC Philip Van Deusen
Lance Corporal Edward Vercouteren
HN (Corpsman) Gregory Vercruysse
Corporal Walter Ward
PFC Larry Worthen

Semper Fi, Marines.

If you would like to host a screening of BRAVO! in your town this summer or fall, please contact us immediately.

DVDs of BRAVO! are available. For more information go to

BRAVO! has a page on Facebook. Please “like” us and “share” the page at It’s another way you can help spread the word about the film and what it is really like to fight in a war.

  1. Thanks again, Ken, for another riveting view into a place I am lucky never to have been. I hope these days we are allowed to hug one another – man or woman – when we lose a friend or face a tragedy together. You have honored them well. Love, Mimi

    Comment by Mimi — June 11, 2014 @ 9:28 am
  2. Bravo Marine Mack McNeely has given me another name to add to this list of KIAs on June 7, 1967: Lawrence Arthur Brooks. Thank you, Mack.

    Comment by BRAVOTHEPROJECT — June 16, 2014 @ 10:25 am
  3. Guy: Bravo Uncommon Man DVD. Thanks for the email honoring the Bravo platoon and those who gave their all on the date. Not sure if at this time a correction can be made or who to go to for a correction but feel having my brothers name in correct should be correct. Was hoping you might help.

    Correct name is: Robert Francis Enderby LCPL USMC Not Ronald Enderby.

    Respectfully, John S Enderby

    Lest we Forget, Semper Fi!!

    Comment by Guy Pete — June 23, 2014 @ 6:57 am
  4. Error corrected and the blog reads as it should be. Thanks Guy, for pointing out the incorrect name.

    Ken Rodgers

    Comment by admin — June 23, 2014 @ 7:31 am
  5. Dear Mr. Rodgers,
    I want to thank you for your Service, and for your thoughtful posting of Bravo Company, June 7, 1967.I was 8 years old at the time, my brother Greg Vercruysse was the Corpsman KIA on that Patrol. I have tried to piece together what happened then, being 8 years old you aren’t privvy to too much and my parents didn’t share, I was too young. With Internet 47 years later, and being 55, I am able to learn more, sometimes that is good, other times I have to step back for a moment. I do know that Gerry Ensign, and John Kerr, both HN, have been in touch, Great Men! Also if I remember correctly back in ’67 some Marines wrote my parents, I remember the name John Bruno ? Anyway, please know I pray for all the Khe Sahn Vets, and may God Bless you all.

    With all my Respect, and Gratitude
    Dean Vercruysse

    Comment by Dean Vercruysse — August 2, 2014 @ 5:55 pm
  6. Thanks, Dean, for finding this post and for your comments. These men, these Marines and Corpsmen who died on the field that day are in my mind a lot. Can’t forget the sense of horror and loss I felt. Semper Fidelis to all those good men.

    Comment by admin — August 3, 2014 @ 4:54 pm
  7. My late husband was an army medic who served in Vietnam. He was awarded a purple heart for injuries on June 7, 1967. When I googled the date it brought up your article. Was the are my t also involved on that tragic day? Are you aware of any other event on that day?

    Comment by Riste — January 20, 2019 @ 4:33 pm
  8. There were no Army personnel involved in that fire fight. 1967 was a nasty year in that war and I suspect there were a number of actions fought by United States Army units on that day but unfortunately, I don’t know the specifics.

    Comment by admin — February 24, 2019 @ 3:58 pm
  9. My father in law John Cox was a marine in 1/26/B he was wounded August 15 1967. He is alive and well in Palisade Colorado. He survived June 7 1967. He tells stories of his best friend Ken Claire and remembers the men who died Jan 1968.

    Comment by Nathan Fitch — December 5, 2023 @ 10:04 pm

Leave a comment

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL